Join us for ShabbaZoom: A Virtual Warm-up for Shabbat at Home, Friday, April 24, 6 pm and/or Omer Counting & Meditation, Mondays 7:30 pm (See announcements below.)
Here is our weekly "5-Point Parasha", a short list of what we are enjoying or pondering, as it relates to life and Torah.
A reflection on the new month from our friend Rabbi Jan Salzman of Congregation Ruach haMaqom in Burlington Vermont:
At the end of this week, we will celebrate the Rosh Chodesh/New Moon named Iyar (from the Akkadian ayyaru, meaning "rosette" or "blossom." Much of our northern tiers will be emerging into the increasing warmth of the spring sunshine. The word can also mean, "tender shoots" and this fifth week of Covid19 isolation is replete with new stirrings, shoots trying to poke their way up through the kavid/heavy soil.
We are all so tender these days (and nights); sensitive to the feelings of isolation and the loss of our summer plans, we cry as easily as laugh. The tradition tells that King Solomon began to build the Temple on the first day of this month. What sacred spots are you building, in order to create a space for sacred connection?
Cantor Heather shares a gem of a version of Ana B’koach from Joey Weisenberg that she hopes you enjoy.
Ps. She plans to sing it at Shabbazoom this Friday.
Cantor Heather shares a skit for those of you who are ready for a humorous take on our current situation:
Julie Nolke Explains the Pandemic to her past self in this spot on skit.
Cantor Heather shares a Leonard Nimoy Yiddish link:
If you just want to think about something completely unrelated, here is a lovely video of Leonard Nimoy z”l reminiscing in Yiddish about and his memories of growing up in an immigrant community in Boston.
Cantor Heather shares an online petition:
Many of us are concerned about conditions in Quebec nursing home facilities, the safety and health of our elders. Here is a link to a petition to sign and share.
Announcements & Upcoming @MOS --
* The Spanish & Portuguese Women's Learning Group is presenting an on line musical Yom Ha'atsma'ut celebration featuring Rabbi Schachar, Chana, Cantor Daniel Benlolo, Cantor Eyal Bitton, and more, this Wednesday, April 29, 10 am
Zoom Meeting ! Meeting ID : 930 749 2706 https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9307492706
* ShabbaZoom: A Virtual Warm-UP for Shabbat at home
Friday April 24, 6-7 pm
Join Montreal Open Shul to welcome in Shabbat online with a virtual pre-Shabbat gathering over Zoom.
Download the Zoom app in advance, and then https://zoom.us/j/8322418968 Please Note: Due to current health concerns, 3rd Friday Shabbat and New/Old-school service will be temporarily suspended until further notice.
* Omer Counting & Meditation with Cantor Heather Batchelor, Mondays, April 27, May 4, 11, 18, 25, 7:30 pm via Zoom.
A simple gathering to share space, meditate and mark the spiritual passage from the Passover holiday towards Shavuot.
Register in advance for this meeting. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
* Friday Night Service - Every Third Friday of the Month...stay tuned for new dates
* New/Old-school service every fourth Saturday of the month...stay tuned for new dates
* Are you (or is someone you know) facing a food shortage at this time due to the pandemic? Montreal Open Shul participants may be able to receive help from MOS, thanks to support from the Jewish Community Foundation and FederationCJA. Please get in touch with us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Rabbi Sherril directly at email@example.com.
And, if you are in a position to help, we ask and encourage you to please support FederationCJA's Community Crisis Response effort by donating to the community CrowdFunding campaign. Visit https://fcja.crowdchange.ca/1002.
Finally, FederationCJA has established a "helpline" for anyone in the community to ask for help. Call 514-734-1411.
* Let us know if you have something that you would like us to include in the 5-Point Parasha (by Wednesday of the week)
*Did you know that you can donate to MOS and receive a tax receipt from Aleph Canada? Go to the Aleph Canada page on Canada Helps and us the drop down menu under "APPLY YOUR DONATION TO A SPECIFIC FUND SET UP BY THIS CHARITY" to select Montreal Open Shul.
PLEASE DONATE TO SUSTAIN OUR COMMUNITY AND OUR OFFERINGS